Friday, August 15, 2008

Rain

Garbage in hand, I stepped outside and immediately my ears picked up on something odd. It sounded like heavy rain on a tin roof, and it was coming from somewhere nearby. I felt no rain against my skin, and so I assumed it couldn't be raining, though the air hung heavy with humidity as if it could rain at any moment. Looking up, I saw that just across the parking lot, it was pouring rain. Yet here I stood, dry as bone with garbage in hand. I watched, amazed, seeing very clearly where the rain stopped along the asphalt. I came to my senses and dashed to the dumpster, throwing my garbage away. Just as I came back under the awning of my apartment, the rain had moved to my half of the parking lot, and the crack of thunder rolled in from an unseen spike of lightning somewhere far off.

No comments: